Friday, October 23, 2020

City of ghosts by Ben Creed

 

This book is just amazing. 

I don’t read many historical fiction books because I find myself a bit lost in that time as I wasn’t a big fan of history in my school time but I was born and raised in an easter European country and the setting for this story is very close from home, and the description made me want to give it a try and read it. I can’t even explain how much I love it. 

The research for it is just perfect to the smallest things and I could feel and vision all the settings while reading, it brought so many childhood memories, so many stories that my grandfather used to tell me from the after the second war and even now, my father remembers parts of the life from those years. 

The dialogue and every interaction from the story are so reliable for those times, they all were so wary about everything and everyone as you couldn’t trust anyone, you didn’t know if a family member or friend was your ally or your enemies. 

Even from the first paragraph, the author sets the story on the high-quality mystery and crime thrillers, it’s dark and whimsical in many ways but it also has moments of humanity when our hero is transported so many times in his early years and all the events he thought he left behind. 

I find the music addition in this story just brilliant because, in my opinion, it makes the whole book more interesting and original. 

There are many questions and secrets to be unveiled but I’m here for all of them. 


Thank you so much Welbeck  publisher for my review copy, I love this book. 


Description 

Leningrad, Russia, 1951.

The shadow of war lingers. Revol Rossel – once a virtuoso violinist with a glittering future – is now a humble state militia cop, forced to investigate desperate crimes in this desperate era.

But when five frozen corpses are found neatly arranged between railway lines, Rossel is faced with the most puzzling – and most dangerous – case of his career. His hunt for the truth leads him to the dark heart of Leningrad's musical establishment, and, ultimately, to the highest levels of the Kremlin itself.

It's a world he knows intimately. A world where his dreams were shattered.

A world where a killer may now be hiding...

'A worthy successor to Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko ... A fine and often moving thriller' FINANCIAL TIMES

'Reminded me of Gorky Park, only I liked this tense, complex thriller even better' JAMES PATTERSON 

'Gripping ... with historical heft, plenty of twists along the way, and a uniquely ingenious code left behind by our murderer. An excellent start to a new historical crime series' VASEEM KHAN


No comments:

Post a Comment

Promises at Indigo Bay by Ellyn Oaksmith

  Description Things are finally working out for  Stella Gallagher . Underwhelmed by all the uninspiring men in her small town who she’s kno...